New Job and Moving Forward

Hello everyone!
I hope it hasn't been too long since my last post although I believe its been a week or two. I would say that I have really started to adapt to my surroundings here. To think I was only half-way through my trip a a fewdays ago! It honestly feels like a lot longer than that but I guess we are nearing almost a month abroad and time certainly has a way of sewing itself when you're at home.

I suppose the big news would be that I was able to land myself an internship! I honestly called the managing editor on a whims notice, got to talking, and was asked to start two days later. The publication is a monthly magazine covering the three main islands that surround a small portion just north of the Honduran mainland, however these are the only Islands. Roatan, Guanaja, and Utila. It's called the Bay Islands Voice and was started by a Masters of Journalism graduate from Mizzou six years ago. We have a small staff of four individuals including myself, which is pretty indicative of most periodicals in Central America, and cover almost every aspect of reportage. General news, sports, fashion, editorial, profile pieces, and investigative reporting as well as documentation. Here's a link: www.BayIslandsVoice.com


I was thrown into the gauntlet on my very first day where I was asked to find what they call an "illustration," or as most photographers in the U.S. would describe as a feature photo. To those not familiar with this, basically you go FIND a photo, any photo! Something that is a current event or human interest. My Daily Iowan buddies should get a kick out of this... Two in one day guys! I admit, for the past few years in Iowa City I usually had a few fail safe shoots in mind. Here in Roatan it is a completely different situation. I can speak the language but not at as well as one needs when throwing a camera into the situation. And I reall have no idea where to go. I began to head down of the streets that looked a lot like the entrance to La Colonia, mud roads and scrap metal houses. Except I wasn't in La Colonia, I was in Los Fuertes, the industrial part of town. I was almost immediately berated by one of the locals there and whenever you hear a Spanish man yell at you and the phrase "Gringo" comes out, it's usually time to head elsewhere. I kept walking West and found a group of eight or ten people washing clothes in one of the dirtiest streams I've ever seen. I began to photograph these two boys that seemed to be enjoying the relief from the heat than actually washing anything and then noticed this young girl that was all business. She was clearly by herself and had no time for games. It still amazes me how quickly the youths here must grow to be adults, she couldn't have been more than 10 years-old. School for these kids is an option and usually a non existent one. Many children, if not most aren't in school. The public schools usually do a poor job, require outfits that most families cannot afford, and the private schools are incredibly expensive. The majority of children here in Roatan are left to toil, look after their younger siblings, or simply get into trouble.



I also shot a soccer match a couple days ago and the visual scenarios were incredible! Everything a traveling photographer dreams for: Dirt field, a bar in one of the fans sections with Latin music spewing from the inside, laundry hanging from the goalposts. I got into trouble because the majority of my shots were "feature" oriented and I had little action from the game itself.




Dad and I were able to buy a kitchen table and chairs for a friend, The Balle's (that's Balle, not Valle), and we delivered it the other day. The family was definitely surprised and happy that such a off-the-cuff requested was granted. I think Alex (the father of the house) had merely mentioned it to Dad one day. Needless to say the family was extremely grateful and invited us to lunch this last Sunday. Probably the best meal I've had since I arrived a month ago! Baked chicken, rice and mashed potatoes! Que Rico! The meal was delicious and the Balle's invited their extended family. We had a wonderful time and it was equally a wonderful meal! Dad has about two months of work for Alex come November so that should help.



Today I was at the office when news arrived that all civil liberties are now revoked for all of Honduras. As a journalist this news is disturbing. Also the fact that the Bay Islands Voice is one of two independent publications in Honduras, which includes the mainland. Nobody is sure what is going to happen with our publication in the next couple days as we go to print in 48 hours being a monthly magazine. I was also a bit worried because I was scheduled to start and investigative piece about the health affects of certain residents who live practically on top of one of two trash dumps in Roatan. However this action was relented the next morning when Michelette offered an apology for the hasty decision so I was able to go and shoot without worry! I was speaking with a colleague today and came to the conclusion that although photographing in a developing country is difficult because of the language barrier, people here are not so concerned with their privacy as are Americans. These people literally live in garbage and were not ashamed to have their photograph taken. Anyone living in the same conditions in the States would either physically remove me or themselves from the situation. They understood and I made clear that: I was not their to exploit, but to expose serious health risks in the largely unregulated world that is Central America.

I hope that everything is going well for everyone back at home. How about those Hawkeyes! I was able to watch the game with Dad on Saturday night and was so very proud to be one of the black and gold! I'm off to Costa Rica and Panama tomorrow to visit with my best friend Mike who writes for a newspaper in San Jose called the Tico Times! So excited!

God bless and much love!