La Colonia and Clinica Esperanza

Hey everyone!
Sorry it has taken me so long to start this thing, lots to do around here along with plenty of R & R involved. At first I was apprehensive about the whole idea of laying around casually napping away the day, but with the ocean breeze in your face and the occasional "cluck cluck" from a stray chicken or two, island life tends to lull one into slumber much easier than imagined. And yes, there are chickens everywhere! The locals say that they know exactly whose chicken belongs to who, but I highly doubt it. Life is just plain simple around here, I think I may have checked the hour five or six times since my arrival just as many days ago. The days are a straight twelve hours here on the equator with little deviation. Needless to say, Daylight Savings is not necessary in these parts of the globe.

My blog is going to jump around a bit due to the fact that I shot film during the first couple days here and there isn't exactly a one hour photo just around the block like at home. So you will have to wait on my initial reactions to Central America until I can process the film and match the photos accordingly. That being said, let me share what photos and stories I do have, and we will all wait upon further content till I can find a place here on the island that will process C-41 film.

A couple days ago my father and I went to one of the poorest barrios (that's Spanish for neighborhood) in Roatan called La Colonia. Here is one of the families my Dad had helped while he was working with Famalias Saludables. The Valle family had a 3 month old daughter named Hennessey who was born with Down's Syndrome. Not only was the family not able to support their daughter financially, but here in Honduras the disease is also considered a curse and the discrimination bestowed upon them (I can only imagine) was unbearable. Hennessey had died with a few added months of life due to treatment, but my father has remained a close friend regardless. The Valle's had just finished building their house which was quite literally on top of one of the tallest mountains here on the island, with little more than a dirt path with a few indentations to assist one along the way. Alex, the father was in need of work and Dad plans on supplying a construction job for him when he builds his house a few blocks away. The Valle family does not speak English, and of course Dad doesn't speak hardly any Spanish, so my linguistics were put to the test. I'd give myself a D+ or so on interpreting, but we fared through it just fine. I've said this before and I will say again, that despite the fact that these people live in complete and total poverty, I have never seen such happy and content people! They are grateful for what they have, and unconcerned with what they have not.

Today Dad and I walked down the hill to visit Ms. Peggy (which she is affectionately known) and her "Clinica Esperanza." Ms. Peggy, a middle aged woman who has run the clinic for almost a decade is still in the process of building and expanding. Fortunately for me she is in need of a photo story for the clinic so my work for her is a perfect fit for both parties. I began some work for her today, which I will share some photos, but the real grunt of my job begins tomorrow morning at six thirty and will run through the week. What a perfect fit! She is grateful for my skills, and I am grateful for the opportunity to work for my first NGO! Who knows where this will lead me, I can only hope that this is the beginning of a life of service for those in need.

This place is already starting to feel like home. The people are friendly for the most part although for them it must be hard to tell who is here to assist and who is here to exploit. Not everyone on the island is necessarily a charity case either. It will just take some time for me to get to know everyone.

I miss you all very much. Yesterday was filled with homesickness for me, and it can become difficult to enjoy your journey when you have so many weeks to go before you see your loved ones again. Just know that I am doing great here and trying to do as much as I can to keep busy and not only ensure a safe return home, but ultimately a trip back to this beautiful place.

I love you all very much, friends and family.
God Bless!